Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Kansas City Super Tiki

I’ve been remiss in updating the Ocean, and I send out apologies to all who were hurt during my absence. I tried to get a post up about the Income Tax yesterday (it’s a bronx cocktail with angostura instead of orange bitters and it would have leant itself really well to some sort of Proverb), but found the requisite sense of humor hard to muster after I’d finished my own pile of forms. What I needed was a drink, not a post about drinks.

But today is a new day. The sun is shining. The birds are on the wing. And I have had something in my back pocket that’s been coaxed out.

Behind my house we have a micro-barn and last year we emptied it out, made it into a dining room / bar, and named it Kansas City. The name is in homage to the famous Max’s Kansas City, and also simply because we figure you can do anything you want in Kansas City.



Kansas City is a seasonal venue:



It’s not heated, and we need to put the deck chairs somewhere. In the off season, I developed a signature tiki drink for the place: The Kansas City Super Tiki.

I was going to wait until we actually got the deck chairs out of the joint and opened up, but tonight’s Thursday Drink Night at the Mixoloseum is about absinthe, and there’s absinthe in the KCST, so I figure now is as good a time as any.

The Kansas City Super Tiki

1 t absinthe (simpler sweeter absinthe with strong fennel/anise flavors are better here)
1 t creme de noyaux (sub orgeat, but the pink really makes for something pretty to look at)
3 strong dashes Angostura Orange
1 oz lime juice
1 oz orange juice
1 oz white rum
1 oz golden rum
Float dark rum

Shake with ice until really cold, strain into an old school tumbler, like the one from which your aunt used to guzzle white horse scotch and soda, with lots of ice in it. Float dark rum on top. Lay a couple of citrus slices on top the drink.

TDN is hilarious, by the way. Anyone with even a passing interest in cocktails should log in and watch, and contribute, and drink, and mess up the kitchen. The KCST was considered a little tart, and I think Gabe might be right. Suggestions for improvements are always welcome.



2 comments:

  1. Max ~

    What a coincidence! I'm from Kansas City and am also considered a little tart. I'm envious: in lieu of an actual fort in the back yard, an extramural dining room/bar sounds fantastic. Our tiki indulgences are restricted mostly to the living room and the patio, but it's been suggested that a theme for the entire house should be "tiki bar" — not the living room or a small bar in the basement, mind you, but the entire house. Your approach sounds a like a slightly more sane beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all fairness, Matt, we can't stick to a theme. Our gamut is opium den/shot house/library/Old West Saloon/tiki bar/rickhouse/ice fishing shack/mining cabin. In fact, looking at that list, the tiki bar angle is running a little short. I better get some thatch.

    ReplyDelete